Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada

From the rest area along route 95,  I headed straight to Vegas.  No more rest areas for me.  I reached the city during early rush hour and dark despite my efforts to get there earlier.  I hooked up electric and water and got down to business.  Time to feed the dogs and myself.  This campground is called Oasis.  There were many campgrounds to chose from.  The others were on the smaller side and reviews were mixed.  One mentioned the homeless population in the area growing twenty fold.  They also said that the windshield cover of their motor home disappeared.  The cover was custom made for that particular vehicle, so was not really going to be taken by someone else with the same motor home.  I elected to try Oasis, which has probably 800 campsites.  The photos were impressive.  There was one unfavorable review that dealt with pets.  I tried to find something else, but ended up deciding to try a really grand place like Oasis.

High winds followed me here.  My first night here was a repeat of the previous night – roaring wind and sand blasting.  In the morning it was still going on.  Not a good day for having awnings out.  I had a reservation for four days and was determined to stay put for all of them.  The second day the weather was wonderful. 

My Airstream is named Rocinante, after Don Quixote’s horse, which took him on many adventures.  Rocinante was thoroughly coated with road salt from the last month’s travels in the North.  Oasis has all sorts of RV services.  I saw several motorcoaches getting washed by a company called Red Rock.  I called them and made an appointment for them to come this morning to wash Rocinante, who, afterwards, looks better than new.

There is no more wind.  Today the weather was so wonderful that I got my bike out and went for a ride.  It was a t-shirt, shorts and flip flop day.  There is no wind, so it was also a good day for awnings.

I walked over to the main building.  It has a really nice restaurant.  The staff was helpful and attentive.  The food was very good and priced right.  As I was eating I noticed that the lobby had bookshelves loaded with “exchange” books.  I peeked out at the swimming pool and could see several people swimming.

Yes.  This is an awesome place to stay.  The dogs have behaved.  I’ve slept really well.  The WiFi is 5G!  The cable TV has a LOT of channels.  Its wonderful.  I was supposed to leave this morning, but extended to Sunday morning.  If I want to stay beyond that, I’ll have to move to a different campsite.  That would be okay – a lot of work, but okay.

Yesterday I needed some groceries.  The frig and cupboard were empty.  On the way to an Albertsons I stopped at a Japanese restaurant with a choice of Hibachi grill or tables.  I wanted a table, but you could only get some of the menu items if you sat at a Hibachi grill.  So I sat by myself at a large grill.  The food was really great and the staff were, once again, very attentive.

The friends I am here to visit arrived from their travels today.  They had a thirty hour flight, so headed straight to bed.  Tomorrow we’ll talk about the coming days.  They said I can stay with them, but I have two dogs with me, so will probably stay right here at the campground or at a campground closer to them.  We’ll see what tomorrow holds.

I do really like it here.  I know summers are brutally hot here, but I sure am enjoying early winter.  Its hard to believe that tomorrow is December.  Wow!


Comments are closed.