Been on the road a lot

Been on the road a lot

Einstein and I traveled from Las Vegas to California to visit friends near San Fransisco. We stayed in an interesting KOA campground in Petaluma, CA. Einstein got sick. You saw that in an earlier post. By the time we reached Newport, Oregon, he was doing better. He thrived in Hoodsport, Washington, where we stayed at Glen Ayr Resort for nine weeks.

I had a Workamper job at Glen Ayr Resort. I didn’t finish the season. I saw the summer disappearing before my eyes. It seems like each summer something keeps me from doing the thing I love…exploring in my RV. I believe I was too keen on proving to myself that I still had it in me to work and be productive. I might try it again, but I needed this summer.

The folks at Glen Ayr made me feel welcome and like I was part of the family. I liked that. I mostly worked at the front desk. The resort has a two story hotel with fifteen rooms. There is a cottage that can be rented. There are three condominium type apartments. There are also about three dozen campsites. I worked fifteen hours a week for my campsite. Any hours above that I earned $12 an hour. I took calls for reservations, answered email requests for reservations, checked people in, Sold items in the small store, stripped beds in the rooms, cleaned rooms if there was no housekeeper for the day, washed bed linens and towells, and then folded everything and put it away. I’d say that doing laundry took up half to three quarters of my time. I also checked the chemicals in the spa, emptied trash inside and out, made sure the propane was turned off over at the gas grills, and patrolled the grounds to make sure that all was well. In the evenings when I made my round of the campground area, it was neat to see folks sitting outside together talking. Sometimes as I walked by they would call out to me and say hi. Some would ask for help with figuring out how to get their TV to see the cable channels.

The resort was pretty far from things. There was a small town about a mile away, but most things were at least about fifteen miles away. The best hair salon I’ve ever gone to was in Olympia. The owner did my hair. That was in March. It still looks nice (August). They use natural hair coloring. I enjoyed my time there. Afterwards I walked to a really good pizza place where the pizza is stone fired. To top off my time there, I walked to a jewelry store and bought a new silver chain.

I liked Washington. It was the first place I’ve been where I could leave the windows open for days at a time. I liked that. I could sit and write or draw and sounds of other RVers would drift in as they enjoyed their stay and visited with one another. I could live in Washington. It doesn’t rain as much as I thought. There were lots of very pleasant days.

From Washington I went to Canada. I explored British Columbia and Alberta. At the time of this writing, I’m still in Alberta. I’ve made many new friends here. As I sit here typing, I can hear the announcer at the rodeo next door. Its the big summer fair and rodeo. I hear the sounds of horse drawn carriages or wagons as they race around the track. Oh! They’re little conastoga wagons. Racing wagons! Looks like each wagon is pulled by four horses.

My time here ends soon. I’ll be leaving on the 27th, heading for Oklahoma. The plan is to spend a few weeks there with family, then begin to head East. I haven’t been East in a year now. I’m going to visit Sherry in Ohio, then go to Maryland for Christmas so I can visit with friends and family there. I’ll be house sitting for another friend in New Jersey for January, February, and March. I’m really looking forward to that. However, I’m leaving the RV in Oklahoma, so I’ll just have my little two door Jeep, the dog, and whatever else I can fit to get me through about five months.

That’s the plan. I will REALLY miss the RV. But I’ll use my time to make art and to write. So. Follow my art and there I’ll be.

Comments are closed.